Admission Definitions

New Freshmen

High school graduate, never attended college.

Graduate applicants

Anyone holding a bachelor's degree who wants to take graduate-level courses.

New transfer

New transfer students are those undergraduates who have attended other institutions and are wanting to work toward an undergraduate degree at Murray State.

Readmissions (former Murray State students)

Undergraduate students who previously attended Murray State University but have been away for two full years (unless in suspension) must apply for readmission. Students who attended another university while away from Murray State must have that school mail an official transcript. Actual readmission will depend on academic performance.


Students who have successfully completed the requirements for a baccalaureate or higher degree and wish to take additional undergraduate courses.


Undergraduate students currently enrolled at other colleges, in good standing, who want to enroll in courses at Murray State University for the purpose of transferring that credit back to their home colleges.


An applicant who only wishes to take courses for his or her own enjoyment, or to upgrade personal and professional skills, may enroll for non-degree credit.

Special high school students

Students who are currently enrolled in high school and want to request permission to enroll for courses prior to graduation. Inquiries should be directed to the student's high school counselor and then to Undergraduate Admissions.

International Students

Undergraduate students who will enter the U.S. with, or currently hold, an F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant visa. Anyone who holds a resident alien card should refer to the other admission categories.